Wednesday 20 November 2013

I take Selfies Sue Me!

 It is official, selfies have taken over the world. The word was named the most popular word of 2013 and was added to the Oxford Dictionary only a matter of weeks ago. The official meaning of the world is a self portrait taken by the subject, and if anyone knows a thing or two about selfies it is me. I love a good selfie and have no problem admitting it. If I think I look nice I take a photo, if I'm waiting in the car, bored at home or not really focusing in lectures snap, new photo for my instagram account. Basically I am vain and like to take photos of myself, does that make me a bad person, no, God forbid the psychologists of the world get a hold of me and tell me they think  that I have major low self esteem and that I need other peoples validation to make myself feel good, that all of a sudden a few likes on facebook is going to make me really constant and happy with myself, sorry people but you are sorely mistaken! I am perfectly fine if I post a selfie on Instagram and it doesn't get any likes, but it is nice when you get that little orange notification that someone likes your photo but I do not go around depressed if that photo is not popular with other users.The likes of Cara Delevigne and Kim Kardashian  have pushed selfie taking into overdrive but looking through my familys old photo albums it is clear that I was taking selfies since before Kim K was famous. I always liked taking photos of myself, although these photos are of myself as a 10 year old with messy hair and my tongue sticking

The likes of Cara Delevigne and Kim Kardashian  have pushed selfie taking into overdrive but looking through my familys old photo albums it is clear that I was taking selfies since before Kim K was famous. I always liked taking photos of myself, although these photos are of myself as a 10 year old with messy hair and my tongue sticking out. People argue that teenages are going to garner low self esteem if their selfies does not get that many likes on facebook, Newsflash, teenagers are going to have low self esteem, it is that time in your life where the fact that there is always someone prettier, smarter and thinner is most prevalent, you are not going to be brimming with confidence and unless you are Kendall and Kylie Jenner, you are not going to be 100% about your looks. When I was a teenager selfies were not the trend  they are now, I was not a looker as a teen either, I had glasses, braces, was chubby, basically I was no Kylie Jenner at 16, thats for damn sure, however I still took the odd selfie if I was board or goofing around. I would put it on bebo or facebook and would not get depressed if it wasn't commented on or had a huge amount of likes, why, because unlike the psychologists of worlds theory, I was not obsessed with peer validation

We like celebrity selfies because they are candid shots into these superstars lives, they are not on a red carpet or a still from a movie or a photo shoot they are these superstars pulling funny faces or doing the duck face, yes people give out about the duck face but it happens so build a bridge and get over it.
People of the world do not be shamed into hiding your selfie taking habit, it is fine, I think it shows confidence, your telling the world I think I look good today and don't let any ragging know it all tell you otherwise, they're probably just jealous that a instagram filter doesn't make them look like God's Gift!

          
  



No comments :

Post a Comment

Be an e-tailPR blogger