Tuesday 11 June 2013

Fangirl Fanatics: Over The Top or Innocent?

Anyone who knows me knows I am addicted to twitter, I follow all my favorite celebrities as well as other normal people. My favorite celebrity accounts are Trevor Donovon who plays Teddy on 90210, Khloe Kardashian and Alyssa Milano. I follow them and many others. Would I like them to follow me, sure it would be cool but I don't care that much to be honest. However there are some teenage girls on twitter who honestly can't think of anything better than being followed by the likes of Niall Horan, Justin Bieber and the likes. I recently saw a "trend" on twitter where Niall Horan did a following spree of a few fans, I then saw how one girl tweeted "Niall didn't follow me" along with a picture of a rope set in a the way to hang someone. I also saw "Might as well kill myself, Niall will never follow me". Let me fill you in on a little secret, Jokes about suicide are NOT funny! It's become a thing to say as joke but I don't find it funny. 
Don't get me wrong on days that I'm stressed or things are not going my way I sometimes remark things like "Oh Kill Me Now!" but thats only if my laptops acting up on when I'm doing an assignment or my car breaks down when I need to be somewhere. Not if Justin Bieber does not notice me. 

Last year there wa a very worrying trend of the internet "Cut for Bieber". Justin Bieber was supposedly seen doing weed and the response of some people was insane. They cut themselves so Bieber would stop doing drugs. When I saw this my first reaction was "Are You Kidding Me!". It was making light of what is a very scary and real situation for some young people. In fifteen years time if you have scars after your incident, what's your response going to be "Justin Bieber did weed and because I was a huge fan I cut myself hoping he would stop" I mean its so over the top, It really makes me worry about this generation. It may be a small minority but I really do think some younger fans of big stars today are way too emotionally involved with the stars personal life.

It is a well known fact that whenever there is some sort of love interest in regards to One Direction members some minority of fans go on the attack, sending nasty, abusive and downright mean messages to the girls in question. There has been numerous stories of when any girls who get somewhat close, romance wise to the boys, they begin receiving death threats, threatening messages and other forms of unacceptable messages. This is something that many 1D fans disagree with and so do I. When I was 15/16 I had a crush on Nick Jonas of the Jonas Brothers. There were stories going around he was dating Selena Gomez, millions of girls were jealous, but Selena received not major hate. Back then twitter was not the machine it is today and there was no direct way to talk to your favorite star, however now it's a new world. Selena Gomez also dated Justin Bieber for a while and when she did begin to date, she received some foul messages from a few hardcore Bieber fans. Its horrible to see someone receives death threats because she is dating your celeb crush. Imagine waking up most days and seeing your Twitter mentions filled with hate as well as love.

Do not get me wrong I think it is fantastic to see passionate fans of musicians, I also think twitter is a great way for fans to connect with their favorite artists. My timeline is filled with "I Love Harry Styles" or "Marry Me Justin", it's cute but it can be very sinister in some extreme cases , all I'm saying is, love your favorite musician, just don't let it turn soar. 

Selena Gomez received some hate from Bieber fans 

One Direction: Some fans send mean messages to their love interests 

Justin Bieber has got die hard fans who will defend him to the end.

Twitter is a brilliant way to connect with your favorite artist, but some users can be mean. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Be an e-tailPR blogger