Saturday 19 October 2013

The Saturdays Living For The Weekend: Review

I have to admit, not since the Spice Girls have I loved a girl band's music so much. Ever since these girls burst onto the music scene in 2008 they have graced the charts with some fantastic pop songs. I have all the girls albums and I love to hear them doing well. I always feel with the Saturdays that they are never given as much credit as they deserve. To be fair to them they tour, promote and sell records in big numbers and three of them are mothers of babies. This is their fourth album and it is filled with some great pop tracks.

What About Us: The band's first number one single was a massive smash and rightly so. The beat is great and the lyrics are very easy to sing along. I actually preferred the version without Sean Paul, I think the girls gave us a great song on their own. I think this is a perfect opener for the album.

Disco Love: I love love LOVE this song. I was not a fan of it when I first heard it, but after the second listen I had it on repeat. I also love the video. This song is brilliant and it's so upbeat you cannot help smile while listening to it. Definitely a perfect choice for a single.

Gentleman: I was not mad about this song. I thought their other singles were better. I just thought it was quite lackluster compared to the other songs, however I like how the the lyrics were quite fun but not their best work.

Leave A Light On: The first ballad on the album, it is a bit of a filler. The best ballad the band have done is My Heart Takes Over and this is not up to that standard.

Not Giving Up: The intro to this song sounds a bit like their hit "All Fired Up". It's a great dance track with a fun fast beat. Definitely one of the best songs on the album.

Lease My Love: This song is a bit of a filler. It has a fast enought beat but it is not up to par with the likes of Disco Love and 30 Days

30 Days: The lead single off the album was a big hit for the girls, however I found it a bit odd that they released it two years before the album, you can tell it's been a while as Una is pregnant in the video. The song is one of my top Saturdays songs, I love the beat and the lyrics are really sweet, still a great track.

Anywhere With You: This song has a bit of a weird tempo. I love the harmonies in the song but it's a little forgettable. It will get you moving a little bit but it is no floorfiller.

Problem With Love: The opening of this track is a bit of a stomper, you cannot beat Vanessa vocals in the opening line, but it loses a bit of it's power as the song goes on but it's still a good song that you will listen to more than some of the other songs.

You Don't Have The Right: This ballad is very dull, I don't believe the girls are upset as they are all in loved up relationships. I think this is the track most people will skip.

Don't Let Me Dance Alone: The standard girl band song. In the club with the girls and you want the boy to make the move, however it is a stomper, it is one of the stronger tracks on the album and it is one of  my favorite songs on the album, it's just a pity it's so far down on the album.

Somebody's Else's Life: Fans of the girls will recognise the song as the intro music to the girls reality show "Chasing the Saturdays". The chorus is really sunny and fun but the verses are a bit dull and all over the place, not their best work

Wildfire: This track is upbeat, fun and has a great singalong vibe. It is a strong closing to the album and it is classic Saturdays. I really like this song and it is definitely better than some of the other tracks on the album

Overall: The singles were picked for a reason, they are the best songs on the album, apart from Wildfire and Not Giving Up the rest of the album is a bit average. It's not bad but it's not great, which is a pity because the girls can give us some great pop songs, I feel like they took all the songs that were offered to them and didn't really listen to them. I will probably buy the album as I am a big fan of theirs but I would be really worried if after 5 years in the business, this is the best they can come up with.

Best Song: Disco Love

No comments :

Post a Comment

Be an e-tailPR blogger