Tuesday 20 August 2013

Stop the Stereotype

I am not usually the type of person who goes on massive rants about social issues but I have had enough of this. Yesterday I was in my local starbucks and after I sat down with my order I heard two girls commenting on how I was such a "D4". they probably thought I couldn't hear them because I had my earphones in and I was choosing my next track to listen to but instead I heard them comment on how I was "Such a stereotypical  D4".
To those who don't know what a D4 is, a D4 is someone who is considered posh and snobby and spoilt. They are considered to be kind of like Naomi Harris from 90210. This stereotype has been around since the early 2000's and was very prominent through the Celtic Tiger years. Now this is not the first time I have been called a D4 but I have grown up alot ever since the phrase was coined, back then I wore head to toe Abercrombie and Fitch, Ugg Boots and had a Juicy handbag, that was the style in my area. Now though I rarely wear abercrombie sweatpants, (only to the gym) I only wear my Ugg's in Winter and the days of Juicy handbags are long gone, however people still think I should be classed as D4. 
One this day I was wearing plain skinny jeans and a white and blue striped top and black pumps, pretty normal day wear. 
The girls in question presumed I was a D4 because of how I spoke, that's just as bad as judging someone with a harsh Dublin accent. The accent I have is one nearly everyone has from where I live. To think I am snobby and rude is just as bad as presuming someone is rough because they come from a certain area. 
I am annoyed that still in this day and age people still put others into certain stereotypes. 
I am not snobby, I pride myself on being approachable and nice to everyone no matter where they come from I have friends from all over Dublin. I don't refuse to talk to someone because they come from an area that does not have the best reputation, If I said "Oh he is such a knacker, you can hear it in her accent also from what he's wearing" I would get so much backlash, I never would but it's just the same as thinking I am snobby, rude and spoilt because of my voice and my style, we were all told "Don't judge a book by it's cover, just remember, don't judge someone by their handbag. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Be an e-tailPR blogger