Monday 26 May 2014

Why the Santa Barbara Shooting is proof of Rape Culture

I know this blog is usually light hearted stuff and not that serious but after last Saturdays shooting in Santa Barbara, it has really made think. Elliot Rodgers shot 7 people and stabbed 3 in a horrific spree that has shook the world, but what is even more sinister is his video retribution in which he said he would kill "every blond slut that ever rejected him" and that it was unfair that at 22 he was still a Virgin and had never kissed a girl.
He was confused on why so many rejected him because he had money and a nice life and he basically said that woman should be with him because of his nice financial situation.
This is pure rape culture ideology. He felt entitled to woman because of his lifestyle and he felt that he should be getting all this attention from females and not other guys. He questioned why on earth woman we're not flocking to him.
The video is so disturbing and the scary thing is, he made more. He made this video the day of the shooting and hours later, 10 we're dead. I am not saying all guys feel like this, but as a woman, the fact that some guys have this ideology, scares the hell out of me.
Woman from a young age are being told, it's up to you not to get raped and attacked, but when it comes to guys, it's always "boys will be boys". This is disgusting and a poisonous thought. Some men feel that a womans body is their right, no it is a privilege.
If you want a womans body and love, You work for it. This guy went on a rampage because no one wanted to sleep with him. It is 2014, how is the happening.
I can't tell you how many times I get nervous in a club, it's just a thing I have, I always have to have my guard up, I am not saying I am the hottest thing in a club, but guy's go out on the pull all the time and some will not take no for an answer.
We need to stop making woman into sexual objects and let men know that, if we want you, go for it, but if we don't want you , NO means NO and that like Elliot Rodgers, a womans body is not a God Given Right.

RIP to all the victims and my love to all their families xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Be an e-tailPR blogger